OT: People ripping off others tunes

William Duffy xl5 at IINET.NET.AU
Wed Mar 22 10:28:07 EST 2000

Hi there

I was in a local record store recently and heard a track being played that
had an identical riff to Hawkwind's Time We Left. i've also recently heard a
track by an Australian artist named Alex LLoyd, who has completlely ripped
off Led Zeppelin's Rain Song. It is getting lots of airplay, but I haven't
heard any mention of where the tune originates.

I don't know about everyone else, but I'm getting fed up hearing all these
artists who are doing this. the ones that sample others recordings aren't
doing anything original with them. I even heard another one recently where
the first 2 minutes was a Tangerine Dream tune (with nothing extra added),
then after the 2 minutes a drum beat, in typical techno fasion, was added to
it. I could very easily do that, but I don't want to rip off the artists.

Dave Brock even mentioned about hearing someone rip off another of their
tunes recently. It's getting out of hand, all these people ripping off all
the good non-commercial recordings by other artists.

William