Combo gtr/vcl/songwriters

Paul Mather paul at GROMIT.DLIB.VT.EDU
Wed Mar 29 12:29:05 EST 2000

On Wed, 29 Mar 2000, K Henderson wrote:

=> I was just considering that out of the zillions of guitarists that also sing
=> and are primary songwriters, there just aren't very many that I consider to
=> be really strong in all three categories.  There are lots of them that are
=> adequate singers such that I can still be a huge fan of their music, but the
=> ones with great voices are a real rare commodity.

Warren Haynes springs immediately to mind: great guitarist; great
singer; great songwriter!

=> obviously rare!  More common is those like Gary Moore and Uli Roth who can't
=> get it through their heads that they *can't* sing.  :)

Try telling that to a friend of mine!  Although I think Gary Moore can
be a bit off (trying too hard, especially on his earlier material) at
times, I think his singing works well on quite a bit of his stuff.

Finally, although he is not a "classic" singer by any means, I think
Nick Saloman's voice melds wonderfully with the music he plays.  Maybe
the question should be, "who are the great guitarist/songwriter/singers-
in-context?" :-)

Cheers,

Paul.

NP: Sundial, _Libertine_