Lemmy en regalia

Wed Mar 29 13:07:34 EST 2000

On Tue, 28 Mar 2000 DASLUD at AOL.COM wrote:

> In a message dated 3/28/00 10:03:59 AM, fofp at HOLYROOD.ED.AC.UK writes:
>
> <<  I've been a Motorhead fan for more than 15 years. I always knew Lemmy
> > was a WWII buff, but I never in my wildest dreams thought he'd be a
> > Nazi or pro-Third Reich. I'm totally willing to believe he's not, I
> > just need somebody to tell me!
>  >>
> =======
> not that this constitutes an answer.....
> but the first-ever mo'head gig , 7/2075 (opening for....now we know...
> Greenslade) began w/an excerpt from a hitler speech,
> and lem is proud of his collection of memorabilia from the world wars.
>
> but is he literally a nazi?

        From the sleeve-notes to the Castle remaster of _Bomber_, written
by Stefan Chirazi:

        "But it's always been World War II that's held the most
fascination fpr Lemmy, the German end in particular, and not for sinister
reasons. No, a more anti-racist, open-minded individual you'd find it hard
to meet. He simply has an insatiable desire to learn about Hitler and the
German army. Not to mention the Russians, the French, Americans and
everyone else involved in this landmark of world history. `It's the
major subject of the century. I mean it completely changed the whole
world. There isn't a trace of pre-war Europe, not politically, not
geographically, nothing. The thing is he (Hitler) had this incredible
power as an orator. As a speaker he was probably the best of the century,
or any other century for that matter. He  could keep going over the same
old rubbish year in year out never saying anything new and the people
believed him because he told them what they wanted to hear.'"

        I believe the man himself refutes the allegation in the interview
on <www.electricbasement.com>, if it's still up there, too. Yours,
                                                                   Jon

--
 |  Jon Jarrett (01223 741219)         jjarrett at chiark.greenend.org.uk   |