BOC: BRAIN: Patti Smith's new album

Brian Halligan blackblade at BHALLIGAN.COM
Wed Mar 29 18:38:57 EST 2000

I tried to send this message a few days ago, but I never received it
through the list. So if you've already received this, I apologise for the
wasted bandwidth.

I just picked up "Gung Ho," at the local record shop. I think this could be
a big hit record for her. I originally was in the store to buy something
else when I heard the first single, "Glitter In Their Eyes," on the store's
PA. I immediately put down the CD I was going to buy and picked this one up
instead. That's the first time that's ever happened with me.

Anyway, not being familiar with Patti Smith albums beyond "Horses," I can't
compare it to her own work. But I would say in general that it's
hard-edged, "mature" rock. That is, the lyrics are insightful and the music
is varied, but all the tunes contain some big time hooks, and the
production is smooth without being overblown. I can hear her influence on
The Brain Surgeons (not a big revelation, I know.) So basically, if you
like Piece of Work and Box of Hammers, you'll get lots of spins out of Gung Ho.

I also have another idea why this album will be a big seller. Michael Stipe
does backing vocals on the single. But don't hold that against it. ;-)

Semper Fi,
Brian

-----
Brian Halligan