OFF: 70's women/Fusion Orchestra

Chris Warburton desdinova at EARTHLING.NET
Fri Mar 31 17:47:46 EST 2000

At 10:10 31/03/00 -0500, you wrote:
>On a more obscure note, I looked up Jill Saward
>formerly of 70's UK progrock outfit, Fusion Orchestra
>(notable album: 'Skeleton in Armour').

Whooeee - that's a memory stretcher - they were among the first few bands I
ever saw, in the Students Union at the local tech college IIRC.  A bit too
slick for their own good perhaps, but v.good (& loud!).

>I used to love that band, I literally wore out the vinyl of that album.

I'm not even sure I ever saw the album, but record emporia in sunny B-o-T
weren't exactly noted for stocking the obscure: don't know if I'd have
bought it from my slender resources at the time.  Don't recall "Brandy"
though.

>I found out that she eventually had joined an MOR jazz/RnB
>ensemble called Shakatak, along 'Swing out sister' lines,
>had some hit Euro singles, married one of the
>band, had some kids and settled into humdrum
>middleclass suburban life.

I didn't think Shakatak were soooo awful as that kind of production line
funk went, and I certainly hadn't realised the connection!

>Anyone else remember Fusion Orchestra?

So, yes, I do.

How about Sattva?  Satisfaction?  The Roy Young Band?  Byzantium?

ChrisW (Greying by the minute)