OFF: Virus alert (genuine)

MissileCommand antisol at SOFTHOME.NET
Thu May 4 23:17:48 EDT 2000

JOHN M GRAY wrote:

> Jeez,  I really get sick of hearing people slamming MS products when
> something like this virus hits.  The only reason people direct their viruses
> at MS is that it achieves maximum impact.  If Linux or any other operating
> system were as popular as MS then they would be writing the virus for them
> and we would all be complaining how vulnerable that OS was.  Popularity
> breeds contempt and I see it on this list all the time about MS.

But why is MS so popular? It has brutally taken over the market and more or less
forces people to use its software.  It is attacked because of its insecurity
because the company claims that it is secure, when it's obviously not. This is
sometimes even the reason why viruses are written in the first place.

> Get real
> people, MS has good products and has immeasurably improved the computer
> industry.

what the hell? Computers were actually cool before Windows.

> Yes, there are many companies with products better but MS
> software is overall pretty damn good.
> John

Perhaps, but only when it rips off that better software.