Theo's fave band! / drummer

ciwsolutions ciwsolutions at BREATHEMAIL.NET
Fri May 5 07:40:10 EDT 2000

At 19:08 04/05/00, you wrote:
>On Wed, May 03, 2000 at 05:00:02PM -0700, John H. McCartney wrote:
> > [Carl Palmer] Truly one of the very few who can
> > do an *interesting* drum solo.
> >
> > Another favorite I'm surprised I haven't seen mentioned is Bill
> > Bruford, the man can play anything, in amy time signature.
>
>Someone once told me about a gig in the early 70s at which
>Bruford played an exquisite 20-minute solo -- on one cymbal.
>Wish I'd been there!

Bruford IS amazing, but Max Roach was probaly the first to have a one
cymbal solo as a party-piece, but since his career is now over fifty years
long, he's probably the original A1 "geezer-drummer".  Check out the
phenomenal album of duets that he did with Cecil Taylor.....

Taking off my j at zz hat again...

ChrisW