OFF: Napster / Metallica and other pointless exercises

Ted Jackson jr. tojackso at LIBRARY.SYR.EDU
Wed May 10 07:30:03 EDT 2000

On 10 May 00, at 9:43, Stuart Hamilton wrote:

> Here is the official word;
>
> Metallica has really kicked it up a notch in its fight against
> Napster http://www.napster.com. Apparently the band has=
>  delivered=3D
> list of close to 335,000 names to lawyers in an effort to stop=3D
>  the
> sharing of their music. Napster fired back this quote, "we will
> review the over 300,000 fan names that Metallica turned in as=3D
>  soon as
> possible. If the claims are submitted properly, the company=
>  will=3D
>  take
> the appropriate actions to disable the users Metallica has
> identified. Of course, if the band would provide the names in
> computerized form, rather than in tens of thousands of pages of=3D
>  paper
> intended to create a photo op, that would expedite the=
>  process."=3D

I believe that Metallica did this only to illustrate that they truly are
being deprived of royalties on a grand scale because of Napster.
The band has no intention of pursuing legal action against individual
fans.  They are doing this solely to put pressure on Napster.

NB, I'm not trying to defend Metallica here, but I don't think they're all
that evil either...

theo