OFF: how we got into hawkwind

Mike Habiby mhabiby1 at NYCAP.RR.COM
Tue Nov 7 08:35:48 EST 2000

I "blame" Greg Stone, DJ for KOME in San Jose in the late 70's.  He had
this fantastic show called "Stone Trek" wherein he played on Sunday
nights from 9 to 12 mainstream to obscure progressive rock. Learned
about many fantastic Progressive bands from England and Europe over the
few years he was on.  Cut my teeth on Hawklords 25 yrs on.  Bought that
and Quark Stangeness and Charm.  The rest is history.

I would mention that after College in the early 80's after I had
collected all vinyl up to Church I lost track of them. So there was a
second "how I got into Hawkwind" story in that I saw the Griffen box set
of Warrior with the "book" in the Mid 90's.  Imagine my amazement when I
discovered that they had been making music all along but had "no North
American distribution rights" at the time.  Anyway thanks to Griffen
going in and out of business I got almost everything on the cheap.
Rounded out my collection through eBay and EBS.  Saw them in '97 in
NYC.  Pics can be viewed of that show at

http://www.geocities.com/mhabiby1/Hawkwind.html.

Mike H.