napster, hawkwind and mp3's

Ted Jackson jr. tojackso at LIBRARY.SYR.EDU
Tue Nov 14 06:20:47 EST 2000

On 14 Nov 00, at 9:13, Andy Gilham wrote:

> There is an element of two-facedness in the whole Napster thing, the
> record industry has been giving music away for years in the form of
> singles, which make no money at all.  They even pay to get them played
> on the radio and in the charts...  I'm not sure hypocrisy is the right
> word, it's more a collective panic.  It's settling down already
> though.

Right!  The record label gives away hundreds of discs--which the
band paid to produce, press etc--and then expects the band to re-
imburse them for an advance on the full amount.  Any band that
signs with a major label...well, you'd have a better chance to become
an astronaut than make money with a major...

theo