napster, hawkwind and mp3's

Ted Jackson jr. tojackso at LIBRARY.SYR.EDU
Thu Nov 16 06:47:43 EST 2000

On 15 Nov 00, at 23:05, ANDREW GARIBALDI wrote:

 But
> I digress (as always) - I really do think that Napster harms sales of
> techno/trance/dance music but there's so much of it around that
> no-one's probably noticed yet, and the younger generation, by and
> large, tend not to want to 'collect' or 'own' material CD's the way we
> used to and still do - the thrill we used to get out of rummaging
> around a shop or record fair,they now get out of downloading  and
> mp3'ing. To the new generation, computers are the new rock 'n' roll,
> like it or not - music is way down the list.

Man, you just hit the nail on the head with a sledgehammer!  This is a
huge problem for bands and labels.  Kids also have little of the fierce
loyalty that past generations of rockers had.  They listen to a band,
then move on to the next big thing.  This kind of sociological dynamic
will definitely change the face of music.  Bands will have to find their
niche and work like hell to maintain their fan base.  Groups that have
long careers with many big-selling CDs will become fewer and fewer.

That doesn't mean that bands can't have successful careers, but they
will need to realize that groups like Metallica are dinosaurs, and that
their group will never have that kind of career.  OTOH, a smart group
who produce good music and manage their road work well, can be
quite successful, if they keep hitting the pockets where fans are
clustered, and can be content with making a good living, if not
becoming 'superstars.'

Also, labels need to realize the fickle nature of the current generation
of music buyers, and not freak out and dump bands when their
second and third CDs don't sell mega-millions like the first one.  If
they're smart, they won't keep kicking out huge advances to bands
for second and third albums, and should be content [and set up their
budgets accordingly] to realize modest sales on some albums.  Better
to make a few bucks off several bands than go for a big killing with
one group.  But they won't do that.  They'd rather put their whole
budget behind one Metallica, than give several bands a chance.
Same thing operates in Hollywood.  The studios would rather have
one 'Titanic' or Terminator 23 than 20 smaller, more creative films,
even though having one blockbuster flick tank can wreck their whole
studio!

theo