HW: Weird CDs & tapes, Anthology tracks, Flicknife tracks

David Bottomley merlinas at DIRCON.CO.UK
Mon Nov 20 10:52:35 EST 2000

Guy typed:

>Thanks for that info Dave - much appreciated!

No problem!

>Am I right in saying that "Bombed Out" on 107 is an instrumental version of
>"Looking in the Future?"

Shows how observant I am. I've never noticed this before, but you're right -
they're very, very similar. Can't be sure if they're identical bar the vox
w/o further listens, but a good spot!

>My original tape lists it as the final song on the card, but actually ends
>with "Speed of Light (Transdimensional Man)".

My copy of the tape definitely has Bombed Out following Speed of Light. I
guess they faded yours a tad early when they dubbed it.......

>Does anybody now have a definitive listing of the Samurai / Flicknife /
>Mausoleum / Friends & Relations / Dave Anderson issued / re-issued /
>re-re-re-re-issued / etc etc etc. songs? It would be nice to make a
>definitive compilation of "The rest of the non-Weird songs" !!!!

Again, I'll have a go...

1: All the Sonic Assassins stuff is available elsewhere on CD - Mighty
Hawkwind Classics & Acid Daze would do the trick (albeit with just the short
version of Angels of Life). Of the DB half, Assassination (aka Some People
Never Die) & Satellite (aka The Phenomenon Of Luminosity) are available on
the Church of Hawkwind CD. Who's Gonna Win The War (in actual fact, a
Hawklords track) is, I think, identical to the Friends & Relations (Vol 1)
version & may have been on a F&R compilation, but I can't be certain.

2: Quark is also on Acid Daze. Valium 10 is on a few of the comps, inc.
Mighty Hawkwind Classics. Douglas ITJ is on Acid Daze. Time Of.. (long or
short) I don't think made any of the comps. I could be wrong on this,
though. The short version was a Flicknife B-side.

3: I think I'm right in saying that only High Rise has been released
elsewhere (Acid Daze/Anthology). The 3 Watchfield tracks share some
communality with the track titled Watchfield Festival (also on AD), but are
sufficiently different to be thought of as separate tracks.

4: None of this is available elsewhere as far as I'm aware.

5: Ditto.

6: Born To Go (short) is on Acid Daze/Anthology, whilst the long version &
MotU are both on the reissued Space Ritual. Hurry on Sundown, Come Home, We
Do It & Earth Calling are all AD/Anth. tracks. I think I'm right in saying
that these same versions of HoS & WDI also feature on Text of Festival (but
edited here).

7: I'm sure Dave used these tracks as the basics for the HW versions of
Streets of Fear, Choose Your Masques, Looking In The Future &
Transdimensional Man. Disintegration also sounds identical to the Sonic
Attack version. In their "Weird" form, I don't think any are/were available
elsewhere.

I'm sure others will have more to add (or correct), but I hope this goes
some of the way.

Dave