So long and thanks for all the hawks

Stephen Swann swann at CUGC.ORG
Wed Sep 13 22:28:42 EDT 2000

On Wed, Aug 23, 2000 at 12:05:29AM -0400, Andrew Apold wrote:
> The real reason was Steve Swann, he liked both bands so he started the list
> dedicated to the bands he liked.  In the early days there was probably more
> BÖC content than Hawkwind content.  I'm not sure if archives for the list
> exist but there were just volumes of serious BÖC discussions here in the past.
>
> Also, a significant percentage of the BÖC only fans have moved over to various
> BÖC soley dedicated lists...  on some of which they are vehemently
> anti-Hawkwind
> because they got upset on this list at some point in the past.  Not sure,

You know, I always regretted the divisive attitudes that were taken up
over this, such as the rift between the BOC-L and the AOL based
fans...  We're a small enough community to begin with, without further
subdividing it.  Sigh.  But a lot of them, I understand, felt that our
very "lively" and "opinionated" discussion here ;-) (true to the
spirit of the old Usenet newsgroups from which this group was born)
was somewhat disrespectful of the artists.  I dunno, I suppose it was.

Also, a lot of BOC fans objected to the masses of Hawkwind content
"drowning out" the BOC content on the list.  But you know... I started
this list as a little hobby project back in college (1990 or so),
because I thought that BOC and Hawkwind were two bands that didn't get
enough attention on alt.rock-n-roll...  I had *no idea* this this list
would go on for years and years, and that the lack of new output from
BOC during the 90's would gradually diminish the ratio of BOC-related
content to the point where the BOC fans would feel slighted...  Back
when I started the list, _Imaginos_ was a (relatively) new album, and
there were a million things that I didn't know about the band and its
music, and so I gathered up a bunch of people to talk about it.  Who
thought that we'd have a whole decade in which to run out of new
topics?  :)

And you know, we talked everything to death back then.  Before we had
Al to just answer all our question, we had to speculate about it, and
debate it, and hypothesize about it, endlessly.  So really, it's all
Al's fault that there was no BOC discussion for a time.  ;-)

> can probably count Bolle Gregmar amongst these... he once related a

Yeah, Bolle didn't seem to like us (or Hawkwind) too much, did he?  ;-)

> Well, anyways.  There's a certain community to this list, it won't be the
> same without both.  I mean, the mystery tape that Theo was supposed to send
> to someone, reports from Roswell alien conventions in New Mexico, these things
> go hand in hand with reports from Australian Hawkfans...   for sentimental
> reasons,
> I am against changing the name.

Me, too.  Oh, wait, I didn't know this was under discussion again.  :)
By the way, I'm back, did ya all miss me?

Steve