OFF: Circle Live

K Henderson henderson.120 at OSU.EDU
Fri Sep 22 10:42:27 EDT 2000

Hi Folks....

Well, I got to see Circle play live twice this week.  The Detroit show was
nice, but too short and the sound system wasn't so powerful and the music
was missing something.  And the club was in the most awful slum I've ever
seen.  Holy Jesus, what a nasty place...and only about a mile from Comerica
Park (before the show, I took a very dangerous walk over there to watch some
of the WhiteSox-Tigers game from outside the fence.)  But in Pittsburgh the
show was excellent!  They played almost an hour (sorry folks, that seems to
be all they're willing to do...and I tried to persuade them to play longer),
and it was a completely different set. (Maybe two songs were the same....so
if you like them at Knitting Factory and want more, go to Brownies on the
25th, and you'll get a different set I'm sure!)  With the better PA in PA,
they were much more 'edgy' and driving.  Fabulous.

Plus, I got to talk to Jussi Lehtisalo, the leader/bassist/vocalist at
length and he's a very cool and amazingly knowledgable guy!  And his English
is very good.  He's the one with the big round head, very short hair, and
thin pointy goatee.  The lineup is...

Jussi Lehtisalo - Bass, "Speaking-in-Tongues" vocals
Jyrki Laiho - Guitar (longer dark hair)
Teemu Elo - Guitar (shorter dark hair)
Teemu Niemela - Keyboards (a single mini-moog...all they were able to bring)
Janne Peltomaki - Drums (different drumkit every night...must be fun!)

They should be selling several different CDs at the shows.  Not sure what
they'll have left by the time they get to you, but 'Pori' (from 1998, just
released in America on Feldspar Records, run by Stephanie who will be the
one selling them) and the brand new 'Prospekt' should be available.  Either
one of these (or both) is a good bet (Pori is perhaps my favorite) and at
$10 a real bargain (half what you'd normally pay).

Here's the remainder of the tour schedule, now updated for western
dates...always check with the venue or local papers to confirm!

Grakkl (FAA)

September...
22: New York City - Knitting Factory (74 Leonard Street)  With Oval
23: Providence, RI – Fort Thunder (75 Eagle St) 10pm
24: Easthampton, MA – Flywheel (2 Holyoke St) With Landing, Ticket Price: $5
25: NYC - Brownies (Ave A btw 10th and 11th) With The Birdwatcher
27: Baltimore - Ottobar
28: Boston - Milky Way (not confirmed)
29: travel to the West Coast

October
1: Portland, OR - Satyricon - n/c
2: Seattle - Rainbow
4: San Diego - Casbah
5: LA - n/c  (word has it that Knitting Factory West is the place)
7: San Francisco - Bottom of the Hill (should be with Village of Savoonga)