WAY OFF: Insidious business practices

Wed Apr 4 19:23:37 EDT 2001

On Wed, 28 Mar 2001, Paul Mather wrote:

> Incidentally, haven't you realised that WWW sites have been doing this
> for ages (assuming you have cookies enabled)?  It is becoming more
> prevalent as folks jump on the "personalisation" bandwagon.

        Yes, but people can't bombard an IP address with commercial
junkmail. Well, they can, but unless you web-browse from your mail-
server it won't do them any good. I realise there are lots of problems
with cookie-tracking (and reasons for it too), but this at least is one it
doesn't have that your Reward cards or whatever do.

        I'd be slightly more swayed if the occasional money-off-beer
vouchers that my fiancee gets from Sainsbury's brought their beer down to
Tescos prices mind you but it doesn't so temptation cannot impeach
me. Yours,
           Jon

--
              Spooky peanut terror bringing pain and death!
     Jon Jarrett (01223 514989)      jjarrett at chiark.greenend.org.uk