OFF: HTML & unsubscribing

Douglas Pearson ceres at SIRIUS.COM
Fri Apr 13 17:26:42 EDT 2001

On Fri, 13 Apr 2001 15:54:42 -0400, K Henderson <henderson.120 at OSU.EDU>
wrote:
>Jill said...
>>It is unfortunate so many messages come in with all the HTML tagging
>>attached and when I used to receive mail on a Unix mainframe I
>>invariably ended up deleting them without reading any of them at all
>>simply because they were completely UN-readable!
>
>This list is beautiful compared to the horrible tendencies of the
>yahoogroups Hawkwind list (sorry to offend any offenders also here).  :)

Unquestionably true!

One of the REALLY COOL things about the boc-l web archives, is that it
filters out all the HTML and only displays the actual text, but still
includes a link (at the bottom) to the html version, if you really want to
see that (which I rarely do).

It would be very nice if LISTSERV could be configured to do that to the
messages that it processes and mails out (or if you could turn the option
on/off).  The list admin of another mailing list I'm on (not a LISTSERV
list) recently added code to automatically remove ALL HTML from messages on
the list - many people were VERY happy about that.

Since I post through the LISTSERV web interface these days, I know MY
messages are coming through text-only (which you're probably all REALLY
grateful for when they consist of 80 lines of Beach Boys prosthelytization
[sorry for butchering the spelling]).

Have a great Easter, all who are inclined to celebrate.  I think it's one
of the ultimate holidays since it combines all three elements that most
holidays have only one or two of: FOOD (don't eat too much chocolate if
you're on a diet), SEX (what ELSE do bunny rabbits do?) and DEATH.

    -Doug (sacriligious luddite?)
     ceres at sirius.com