HW:Space rock...What it is ?

Sun Apr 15 13:19:33 EDT 2001

On Fri, 6 Apr 2001, Chuck Rosenberg wrote:

> > > JJ -- Really enjoyed your Space-Rock Thesis. Hopefully a work in
> progress...
> >
> >          Well, not really, except inasmuch I had to reformat it for
> >  seding... How would you suggest altering, just updating the bands
> >  mentioned (have to wait till I can afford more CDs if so) or the actual
> >  text?
>
> Yeah, updating, more research, more bands, maybe some interviews and
> different perspectives (from musicians and fans)...of course, you can work
> all this in to your own thesis, by argument or whatever, since it's your
> project.

        Bloody hell. This is not a thesis project, this is for when I
finally start writing web-pages :-) Which will probably be after my
_actual_ thesis, you know?

> >          What's wrong with the tracking on _25,000 Feet_?
>
> Tracks 1 and 2 ("Solar Electric" and "Open Your Mouth") are both tracked as
> number 1. "Greater Waters" would seem to be one track, but turns into two
> when the slow, mandolin part starts.
>
> I wrote out my own track-list on a sticky-sheet and attached it to the insert:
>
> 1.Solar Electric/Open Yr Mouth
> 2.Don't Forget to Breathe
> 3.title track
> 4. and 5. Greater Waters (pts one and two, perhaps)
> 6.Landing on Cydonia
> 7.Hot Fluffy Mind

        I always figured `Solar Electric' to be the two-part track on
there. `Open Your Mouth', identifiable as such by the vocals, is tracked
as No. 2 on my copy. Or are you reckoning the latter part of No. 1 as part
of `Open Your Mouth' rather than `Solar Electric'? Because the riffs are
different... Although there's no reason why one song couldn't have two
riffs even on a space-rock album :-) I just don't see any real reason to
suppose that the tracking's awry, I think it's meant to be like
that. Certainly I wouldn't split up `Greater Waters', it only makes sense
all together! My opinion only of course, yours,
                                                Jon

ObCD: Orbital - brown album
       Jon Jarrett (01223 514989)     jjarrett at chiark.greenend.org.uk