OFF: Bill Ward

Ted Jackson tojackso at LIBRARY.SYR.EDU
Thu Apr 26 07:26:55 EDT 2001

On 26 Apr 2001, at 1:05, Jon Jarrett wrote:

> > Bill Ward (*why* not? See, you can;t think of a reason. That's not a
> > good enough reason[2])
>
>         Because he's famous for not being able to keep time? Indeed,
>         has
> made a career of it? And because Simon King is a better drummer?

Did anyone read a great interview in Guitar World several years ago
with Tony Iommi on the cover?  Tony talked about the early days of
Sabbath, and Tony was a prankster/bully.  Apparently he picked on
Bill Ward mercilously.  One time, while Ward was sleeping, Tony
poured lighter fluid on him and set him on fire!  I guess Bill got pretty
seriously burned, and his mother called up Tony screaming:
'...Well, you've done it now...our Bill's going to have his arm off!'
Needless to say, Bill recovered...

Tony also joked about Bill bringing only one pair of pants on tour!
And generally what a slob Bill was.   Great, great interview.

Tony said that he and Ozzy were in rival gangs before Sabbath
formed, and that he used to beat the shit out of Ozzy whenever he
ran into him!  Helluva guy...

theo