HW: Effects that Hawkwind use

Alastair Lee Sumner als at POSTMASTER.CO.UK
Mon Aug 20 08:21:53 EDT 2001

I have a feeling Captain Black might know the answer to this question.

There is an effect that was used in the early 70s on the Space Ritual and
also on Doremi I think. It is most noticeable on the left channel when you
listen to Orgone Accumulator and Upside Down. It is hard to descibe but
sounds like an echo of the guitar or sometimes like an echo of the sound of
the entire band or something and goes ta ta ta ta ta. It kind of sounds
like the volume is being repeatedly turned on and off.

I noticed a similar effect at the last Croydon gig and it was more
noticeable for me on Saturday at Canterbury. I think it was during
Levitation or Magnu but I definitely remember it during Hurry on Sundown.

Can anybody tell me what it is? It is very hypnotic and sounds amazing
along with the lights. Sorry I can't descibe it better, I just hope
somebody knows what the hell I'm on about.

Alastair.