HW/NIK: Greasy Truckers Party 2001

Wed Dec 12 20:59:27 EST 2001

On Mon, 22 Oct 2001, Eric Siegerman wrote:

> A lot of shit artists have done, like, one good song apiece.
> Material Girl was a perfect 3-minute summation of the entire
> decade.  Billie Jean.  Seems to me there was a Cure song I liked,
> but I've managed to avoid even thinking of them for long enough
> now that it's lost, hopefully forever.  My brother would have
> Suspicious Minds and Born to Run on his list, but I'm not *quite*
> so down on those guys...
>
> I bet a lot of people for whom Depeche Mode are gods would say:
> Spirit of the Age.
>
> > (or at least convince me that they
> > were better than Duran Duran?)
>
> If DD had even one good song, I don't know it.  Q.E.D.
>
> The only cool thing DD had going for them was their name.  Ditto
> Heaven 17 (obscure movie references both).

        I actually rather like Duran Duran. Which probably ruins me as a
critic forever but I tink they had more than a few good songs if you could
manage to stomach any 80s pop at all. And they were always unfashionable
even at the height of their popularity, a paradox I can't explain.

        Furthermore, their `Planet Earth' is space-rock by any reasonable
definition :-) Yours,
                      Jon

ObCD: Porcupine Tree - _Recordings_
--
"I recognise that I have transgressed many of the precepts of the divine
law, and that I am subjected by various vices and iniquities, disobedient

             (Jonathan Jarrett, Birkbeck College London)