HW: Strangewind

K Henderson henderson.120 at OSU.EDU
Fri Dec 14 05:30:51 EST 2001

As Doug concurred...

>checking the tape would make the most sense...

OK, I gave it a listen today, and although I wasn't paying total attention,
I marked down what seemed to be happening...

First off, there were a lot more vocals than I had remembered...even the
tracks I thought were instrumental had vocal bits in there - often spoken
stuff.  And I think all the voices are Jerry Richards, Capt. Rizz+, and
Richard Chadwick (he's obvious), though RC doesn't actually sing anything -
he's doing more "MC" announcements and such (the infamous "We Are The Ones
Who Are Left" and the like).  I scribbled down some est. track times for the
record...

Strange Daze 1998 - StrangeWind headlining performance (69 minutes)

Band Introduction: Thom (the World Poet) Woodruff
1. Intro/Welcome to the Future (7:10) - Spoken (JR & Rizz+)
   RC intro ("We are the ones who are left")
2. The Wheel/Do You Really Care?/The Wheel (reprise) (9:15) - Spoken (Rizz+)
3. Standing at the Edge (2:35) - Spoken (Rizz+)
4. Assault & Battery (3:15) - JR
5. The Golden Void (5:35) - JR
6. Spirit of the Age (6:35) - JR
7. Starfire Mountain Dreaming (11:35) - hmm...now I'm thinking maybe that
was    Thom on there for that?  Wasn't paying enough attention.  If not, Rizz+.
   RC intro only.
8. Time We Left This World Today (5:40) - JR (TWL...) / Rizz+ (...tWT)?
9. Space Is Deep (5:00) - Rizz+
10. Electronics (1:20)
11. Brainstorm/In Your Area/Brainstorm (10:05) - JR/Rizz+/JR

All in all, you know, it didn't turn out to be such a bad show.  The memory
of "Space Is Deep" is unfortunately the thing that sticks in my head to this
day, but that was a mere 5 minutes out of a 70 minute set.  OK, I now
realize that Rizz+'s 'In Your Area' shtick appalled me as I was hearing it
last night.  But I remember it being rather a bit of fun as I was standing
there in the audience (and this was the first time I'd heard this, since the
album of the same name had yet to appear), but I was also noticing some
rather stunned faces around me.  (I was prepared for Rizz+ having read about
him here, so it wasn't a complete surprise.)

The worst thing about it is that it was only 70 minutes, and it was 'padded'
just to get it up to that length.  But given the circumstances....

Grakkl (FAA)

ObCD: Mirza - Last Clouds (perhaps the best thing I've heard all year.  Too
bad the band is no more - this is a posthumous release of leftovers...best
stuff they ever did!!  Steven R. Smith is now in Thuja.  Doug P. - you ever
run into these guys in SF?)