OFF: RE: HW: Mission Control: New Orders

Sun Dec 23 19:54:23 EST 2001

On Mon, Oct 29, 2001 at 12:13:40PM -0500, K Henderson typed out:
> >hmm, I don't know why it would crash people's browsers so much, unless
> >you're running an old version.  Does everybody know browser updates are
> >free?  Just go to IE or Netscape's site and download the newest version or
> >update.  IE is so easy anybody could do it.
>
> I can't update my browser beyond Netscape 4.08.  I'm too embarrassed to
> admit why, so you'll have to guess, and then keep it to yourself so as not
> to reveal my secret life in cyberspace.  :)
>
> P.S.  I think I'm probably the only one with this situation, so....
> hawkwind.info doesn't actually crash my 4.08 - but it is 'strange' - I
> haven't checked out the 'text' version yet....I imagine that might be more
> my thing.

        I'm stuck with Netscape 3 Gold, Keith, so think yourself not too
Luddite. Why am I stuck with it? Because my computer runs Windows 3.1 with
a 32-bit patch, has only 8 Mb of memory and very little hard disk. All
these things but the OS will shortly be changing and then I might be able
to do Netscape 4. For the meantime, I can read Mission Control all right
but it's painfully slow. Many things are though. And there are Javascript
errors because I only have Javascrpt 1.1 which won't swallow many bugs. So
for me, Dan, browser updates aren't free because they mean hardware
updates too. Sorry to burst the hypermation intersoupway bubble there.

        Mission Control... It should look good, of course it should; it
should be space-age. It does look good, it is space-age. But getting to
the information can be a pain. Especially when, as is the case with band
member profiles, you discover that half the band isn't on the site and
half the people on the site aren't in the band. And where do you look for
news? The Captain's Log? News (you'd think so but with these other
options... ) Updates? It all interlinks of course but it could be
simpler. And the discography needs updating. Rik must be beginning to
realise what the Coidex compilers go through :-) Yours,
                                                        Jon

ObCD-R: Starfield - _Return to Earth_
--
        Jonathan Jarrett                Birkbeck College, London
                 jjarrett at chiark.greenend.org.uk