Off: Re: A Question on Bootlegs

Paul Mather paul at GROMIT.DLIB.VT.EDU
Fri Feb 9 13:53:14 EST 2001

On Fri, 9 Feb 2001, M Holmes wrote:

=> > What difference is there between asking for extra media and asking for
=> > a tenner? (And why stop at 2-for-1 in that case?) Spreading the music
=> > is about exactly that: free exchange of music to spread it to those to
=> > whom you want to expose it.  It is a free exchange.
=>
=> Excellent communitarian sentiments.

Thanks for not answering the question, Mike. :-)  If people really
charged for their time in B&Ps, we'd be charging a lot more than a
tenner!

Hawkwind's music does not belong to me.  I have no right to sell it to
anyone (at least I don't think so; Dave Anderson notwithstanding).

=> > Besides, in all the trading communities in which I move, N-for-1
=> > trades are considered anathema
=>
=> And good luck to you all. Not everyone lives in your ideological suburb
=> though.

That is the funniest part, to me.  Despite all the "free festivals"
ethos surrounding Hawkwind, the Hawkwind "trading" community is the only
place I've ever personally encountered a 2-for-1 or cash B&P.  I guess
that is why my Hawkwind list is tiny compared to other bands I collect
where free trading is the norm.  Call it "hippy," "communitarian," or
whatever word du jour you want, but people just seem to like spreading
the music they love in those other circles (kind of like a musical
evangelism:).

But, like you said, if people are happy to pay money (be it cash or
whatever) for bootlegs, and they feel they're getting value from the
deal, then that's their business and not mine.  (But it is still
bootlegging.)

=> Next Week: Why Mike Should Get Beer at Cost While Barmaids Work For Free

Now that is something we can all get behind! :-)

Mine's a pint!

Cheers,

Paul.

e-mail: paul at gromit.dlib.vt.edu