Off: Re: A Question on Bootlegs

John Majka jmajka2 at HOME.COM
Fri Feb 9 19:12:43 EST 2001

I've been trading bootlegs for about 13 years or so, and every single person
I've ever traded with has basically had the same arrangement-- two blanks
for one recorded, or 1 for 1 if each person has something of mutual interest
to the other.  It only seems fair.  I would hate it if someone just sent me
say 10 blank tapes and expected me to record all 10 for them, without any
benefit to me.  I mean, it takes a lot of time (90 minutes times 10 tapes)
plus all the gas & time involved going to the post office, not to mention
the cost of postage.  There's no reason why I should take a LOSS just
because someone else has demanded my time.  Two blanks for one recorded is a
generous deal, I think.
John Majka
http://www.nlci.com/users/flossbac/tapes.html

> On Fri, 9 Feb 2001, M Holmes wrote:
>
> => > What difference is there between asking for extra media and asking
for
> => > a tenner? (And why stop at 2-for-1 in that case?) Spreading the music
> => > is about exactly that: free exchange of music to spread it to those
> => > whom you want to expose it.  It is a free exchange.
> =>
> => Excellent communitarian sentiments.
>
> Thanks for not answering the question, Mike. :-)  If people really
> charged for their time in B&Ps, we'd be charging a lot more than a
> tenner!
>
> Hawkwind's music does not belong to me.  I have no right to sell it to
> anyone (at least I don't think so; Dave Anderson notwithstanding).
>
> => > Besides, in all the trading communities in which I move, N-for-1
> => > trades are considered anathema
> =>
> => And good luck to you all. Not everyone lives in your ideological suburb
> => though.
>
> That is the funniest part, to me.  Despite all the "free festivals"
> ethos surrounding Hawkwind, the Hawkwind "trading" community is the only
> place I've ever personally encountered a 2-for-1 or cash B&P.  I guess
> that is why my Hawkwind list is tiny compared to other bands I collect
> where free trading is the norm.  Call it "hippy," "communitarian," or
> whatever word du jour you want, but people just seem to like spreading
> the music they love in those other circles (kind of like a musical
> evangelism:).
>
> But, like you said, if people are happy to pay money (be it cash or
> whatever) for bootlegs, and they feel they're getting value from the
> deal, then that's their business and not mine.  (But it is still
> bootlegging.)
>
> => Next Week: Why Mike Should Get Beer at Cost While Barmaids Work For
Free