H/W remix & Thrilling Adventures.

Fri Feb 16 20:10:17 EST 2001

On Tue, 23 Jan 2001, ANDREW GARIBALDI wrote:

> It's interesting this - how people listen to music. I jhave long since said
> that musicians have completely different ears from the average listener and
> tend to listen to hear music in a completely different way from most of us.
> But it never really occurred to me that the complete and utter fanatics of a
> band or artist's work will also be listening in an unusual way - all the
> time it will be with an ear as to echoes of what has gone before, to the
> minutest detail in many cases, and I feel sure that this only clouds the
> issue of just putting something on, forgetting what its origins are, whether
> or not it's been out before in any way, shape or form and just experiencing
> a complete offering without comparisons or such things.
> What was it - turn on, tune in and drop out - how about just tuning in!!!

        Yeah, but by that argument if _Yuri Gagarin_ were any good it
would be fine for Dave Anderson to re-release it countless times and flood
the market as it would still be a valid listening experience. My problem
is not so much that we've already paid for the ability to hear some of
this stuff once (or in some cases twice), but that is a factor. It
smacks a little bit of exploiting the fan-base, though I mean most of
us are happy to be exploited - if Dave said to us all, "Can you send
me a couple of quid?" we'd many of us do it I imagine, and this way we get
something for paying Dave probably no more than that. More of my attitude
is down to a fear that this recycling indicates creativity problems chez
Brock and I'd much rather there was something happening than what looks
like a machine winding down. I know there's a lot of Hawkwind out there
now; but it's still not enough :-) Yours,
                                          Jon

n/p Disarray - `Down at the Mall'
--
 |  Jon Jarrett (01223 514989)         jjarrett at chiark.greenend.org.uk   |