HW: Oh baby what a party....

Stephen Lindsey slindsey at IDIRECT.COM
Mon Jan 1 23:55:23 EST 2001

Happy New Year everyone,

Many, many thanks to the band,  all of you lovely people for being as crazy
as I am,
and especially to Arin for putting together the hotel thing. I think thats a
night we shall never forget !

Memories, ummmm

None (sp?) for greeting me by name when I was expecting god knows what kind
of hassle in picking up my passport.  I can't think that things could
possibly have been smoother in terms of figuring out where we were supposed
to get to (and this is Hawkwind - organisation ? efficiency ? I must be
dreaming ??)

Most would have missed a hilarious adventure that Kieth & I (who was wearing
the assassin outfit complete with deaths head mask) and two people from
Chicago whose names I forget, had getting from the first party to the
second, stuck in a taxi with a driver who probably knew Nairobi better than
London, we had to resort to stopping to ask passers-by for directions. Of
course we'd all forgotten that Kieth looked like, well you know, death !  We
got some totally astonished looks.  (Scuse me mate do you know well Belgrave
Rd is ? - Uh sure just don't kill me.....)

Those lovely people from Sheffield who have spectacular culinary abilities
;-)

Sound was great at the gig, Flying Doctor was just great, really gritty
without the slightly silly boinging sounds on the original. Damage of Life
was brilliant, just flying. It was interesting hearing a more technical
player on the woodwind (though I think Niks playing has been much improved
in the 90's) Is that the first time anyone other than Nick has done reeds ?
Yes and Hurry On did seem to get even better, more bluesy ?

Getting to help give out Hawkwind Christmas cake !

Being asked if I was in the band at the after gig party by some, mmmm,
nymphettes ? Jeez why did Mum & Dad raise me to be such an honest lad.

A car pulling over and Huw leaning out the window to ask for directions.....

Oh and I hope those pictures come out (someone pleez send me some), Mike
says "Go stand over there.." - I swear. Kind of ended being Arin (kudos of
course there), the band and me.  So I just want to get this straight so
we've got the story right for later, can I get labelled as an extra keyboard
player ???  please ???  Noone will know ????

Glad Eric S. thought to get me to bring the transparencies over, chilling
out at the hotel was just excellent, I think we all had glowing auras about
ten feet in diameter. General Chaos Visuals is the name of our little
lighting side project.  And even though all the gears over here in Toronto,
I'm happy to help for future extravaganzas if I can.  The lads at the show
didn't have too much gear and had been told to keep it simple they said
(plus they had no idea what the setlist was, poor buggers).

Great record shopping on Saturday after breakfast at Hall of the Mountain
Grill. Apologies that I was doing a good impression of a zombie til I got
some coffee in me. Got the holy grail of Faust albums, So Far.  And a
wonderful live CD (76-8) of the Here & Now band, just released, urge you all
to get it, worth it for the accompanying booklet on the Free festival scene
of the mid seventies. Makes you appreciate the idealism of dedicated
musicians

Side job. Assistant security ! Helped break up the brief fight (wierd, at
the start of Sonic Attack,    "Do Not Panic", "Do Not Panic".)  No idea what
that was about, someone said someone was yelling at Ron ? maybe that has
something to do with it ? And helping to clear out the comatose at the end
of the party (sorry if that was you asleep under the table ....)

Cheers to all, May God Bless Us Everyone !

All the best for 2001, may fortune bring us more wonderful nights such as
this,

Steve Lindsey

PS If anyone found a watch at the end of the gig ?