HW: Xenon Codex

Stephen Swann swann at CUGC.ORG
Fri Jan 5 22:37:03 EST 2001

On Fri, Jan 05, 2001 at 09:24:55PM -0000, bedroom trancer wrote:
> cool!!!!  a link between hawkwind and julian cope!!!!
> btw playing the vinyl version of xenon codex now, still sounds pretty good,
> though the drumming sounds a bit leaden!!!

ROFL!

My initial reaction on purchasing Xenon Codex back in my college days
was that it was the worst thing ever.  Then I came to the conclusion
that it was mostly the drumming (leaden, and mixed way too far forward
in the mix) that was making me hate it.  Especially since the album
that had really gotten me into Hawkwind was Levitation, and despite
what people might say about his attitude, Ginger Baker seems to have
an almost uncanny sense for the exact right riff for every situation.

Anyway, I gave Xenon Codex a second chance, and discovered that I
really liked Sword of the East, Neon Skyline and (especially) Lost
Chronicles (that last being probably my favorite Hawkwind intrumental
ever).

Does the remix change anything significant about the overall sound?

Steve