BOC-L Digest - 17 Jan 2001 to 18 Jan 2001 (#2001-24)

M Holmes fofp at HOLYROOD.ED.AC.UK
Thu Jan 18 12:55:30 EST 2001

Stuckey, Robert writes:

> >>   How about Glasters '97?
> >
> >Having braved both of 'em I definitely reckon that '98 wins for wetness.
> >
> >FoFP
>
>   I think psychologically '97 was worse because you knew what to expect
>  by the time of '98, and were certainly more prepared!!
>   .......and I had a better tent in '98. :-)

In '98, when it rained on the Friday for 24 hours, it was coming down so
fast at one point that even at the top of the Greenfields it was just
washing down the whole hill. Even with putting our sleeping bags on
carry mats on a pile of newspapers it soaked through the flysheet, the
newspapers and two carrymats to soak us in our sleeping bags.

There were 5 tents around us who arrived about 9pm on the Friday night.
They huddled in the tents all night drinking whisky and whining. Then by
10am the next day they'd gone home, abandoning the 5 soaked tents, several
soaked sleeping bags, and 11 empty bottles of whisky.

We wandered around in Cagouls and wellies for 4 days. Highlight was
definitely Global in the Greepeace field.

Having done 1985, 1997 and 1998, I'd really like not to have to do
another wet year there. Whatever happened to that lovely sunshine we got
throughout the early 90's?

FoFP