OFF: Re: TV appearance? , <>

Ted Jackson jr. tojackso at LIBRARY.SYR.EDU
Thu Jan 18 13:28:47 EST 2001

On 18 Jan 01, at 13:54, DASLUD at AOL.COM wrote:

> hi there y'all
>
> ol' norm first hit the charts in '66, as part of...of...some jug band
> .but the song was 'the eggplant that ate chicago'. this in contrast to
> whatever it was 'who/that ate Cincinnati'...at about the same  time.
>
> but yeah, the follow-up to 'spirit in the sky' was 'canned ham';

That's the one...

 i saw
> him on 'bandstand' plugging it.

What was the Bandstand clone syndicated TV show originating in,
maybe, Detroit, or Cleveland?  I'm thinking it was called Upbeat or
some such.  They had Canned Heat on every other week doing a
silly lip-synch of Goin Up the Country.  Also our beloved Frijid Pink,
the Illusion.  Great show!  Hosted by some Dick-Clark-light-wannabe
who favored Nehru jackets.  <>, you must've seen this show?

> he did at least 2 lp's on reprise...
>
> recently i've heard radio ads for a 'boston music' cd, and 'spirit in
> the sky' is one of the selexions, alongside 'just what i needed',
> 'more than a feeling','dirty water' j.geils, etc etc.

Well, that's just heresy, if you ask me.  We both know that the Boss-
Town sound was thrust forward by the likes of the Ultimate Spinach!
Can you remember any others in the ill-fated, contrived 'genre?'

theo