Who posted crit of the weird CD's sound?

Captain Bl@ck starfield at SUPANET.COM
Thu Jan 18 14:32:00 EST 2001

Can't remember who posted it, but the device in question was an Aphex Aural
Exciter (as mentioned in Bob Calvert's book, 'Hype'). These retail in the UK
for about £140.00.

If you're into software, there are lots of lovely tools you can get which do
a similar thing but with more flexibility. Try PSP's Mix Saturator,
Prosoniq's Dynasone, dB-Audioware's Exciter etc.  These are proffessional
packages that studios use to enhance the sound of recordings prior to
mastering. Rather like the Aphex, they work by introducing subtle amounts of
distortion, which has the effect of making the music sound brighter, louder
and more powerful.

Hence the reason why Hi-Fi amplifiers with the lowest distortion figures
don't always sound the best, and why guitarists like valves.

Captain Bl at ck