Who posted crit of the weird CD's sound?

Tigger Tigger at PUDDYTAT.FSNET.CO.UK
Thu Jan 18 15:11:10 EST 2001

In article <008701c08185$54a4e4e0$bd1828d5 at starfield>, Captain Bl at ck
<starfield at SUPANET.COM> writes
>Can't remember who posted it,

Me

>but the device in question was an Aphex Aural
>Exciter (as mentioned in Bob Calvert's book, 'Hype'). These retail in the UK
>for about £140.00.

and Spirit Folio Racpac mixer, zoom 1204FX, Nikko EQ, and the latest
addition Behringer Ultrafex Pro enhancer/exciter/surround processor
(which is far better than the Aphex, good though that is).

The Behringer, apart from being more versatile, is also cheaper
http://www.kingfish.demon.co.uk/ have them for £99
Full specs of the device available at
http://www.behringer.de/eng/products/enhancer/ex3200.htm

>If you're into software, there are lots of lovely tools you can get which do
>a similar thing but with more flexibility. Try PSP's Mix Saturator,
>Prosoniq's Dynasone, dB-Audioware's Exciter etc.  These are proffessional
>packages that studios use to enhance the sound of recordings prior to
>mastering. Rather like the Aphex, they work by introducing subtle amounts of
>distortion,

Do you know of anything similar that will _remove_ unwanted distortion?
(Like where the tape level's been set too high?)

> which has the effect of making the music sound brighter, louder
>and more powerful.

Specifically, the 'distortion' introduced by an exciter is upper
frequency harmonics. If you've ever heard a recording that sounds like
it was recorded through a layer of cotton wool, dull and lifeless, the
exciter gives you the sound without the cotton wool.

>Hence the reason why Hi-Fi amplifiers with the lowest distortion figures
>don't always sound the best, and why guitarists like valves.
>
>Captain Bl at ck

That's always puzzled me - what's the advantage of having an amp that
only produces 0.001% distortion compared to one that produces 0.01%?
None, anything less than 0.1% is inaudible.

--
David Blair