OFF: Re: TV appearance? , <>

John McIntyre mcintyre at PA.MSU.EDU
Fri Jan 19 07:59:54 EST 2001

"Ted Jackson jr." wrote:

> Well, that's just heresy, if you ask me.  We both know that the Boss-
> Town sound was thrust forward by the likes of the Ultimate Spinach!
> Can you remember any others in the ill-fated, contrived 'genre?'

Well, remember the Bosstown Sound was contrived by MGM after they
missed out on all the San Francisco bands.  I guess the corporate thinking
was pick some other town and sign-up all the bands before the other labels
know what hit 'em.  The amusing thing is that other labels did follow.  If
I'm remembering correctly, MGM had the Ultimate Spinach, the Beacon
Street Union, and Orpheus.  Elektra had Earth Opera, and Philips had
Phulph.

After the Bosstown Sound fizzled out (although Orpheus did have a national
hit
with "Can't Find The Time To Tell You", not that you can hear the band under

all the added strings), MGM decided that rather than having to finance bands
and
their recordings, it would be cheaper to just license already recorded
albums and
launched a new subsidiary label to release some "hot" German bands.  The
first
release was Amon Duul's _Psychedelic Underground_.  I remember there were
others on that label, but I'm not sure which: maybe a Birth Control album?

John McIntyre
Physics - Astronomy Domine Dept
Michigan State University
mcintyre at pa.msu.edu