OFF: Re: HW: Question for Dave regarding use of music for Dr. Who

Arin Komins akomins at MIDWAY.UCHICAGO.EDU
Wed Jan 24 19:55:20 EST 2001

On Wed, 24 Jan 2001, M Holmes wrote:

:Subject: Re: OFF: Re: HW: Question for Dave regarding use of music for Dr.
:                 Who
:> As a matter of
:> fact, some of them are painful to watch.
:
:The BBC never ever had big budgets for this sort of thing and usually
:regard SF as for kids anyway. That means that alien planets are always
:in mines or gravel pits and the aliens are kinda hokey. You can get fond
:of Daleks, Cybermen and those Yeti with the little control balls in
:their backs. I never really much liked the whole Master thing though.

Well, Anthony Delgado was such a good classic heavy, though.  Anthony
Ainley just didn't do him justice.

:Not all the Doctors (they're reanimated after an actor leaves) were very
:good at the style though. Troughton, Hartnell, Pertwee and Baker were a
:lot better than some of the later guys. Paul McGann could have pulled it
:off in the film though, but they trashed that by spending half of it on
:setup and having the Master as the baddie rather than the Daleks or
:Cybermen. An update of either of those is badly needed. The Borg are
:just so much better dressed than the Cybermen and the Shadows are so
:much more subtle than the Daleks. It's going to be very hard to top
:Morden as an SF baddie.

Yes, but not having good special effects normally reveals better
acting.  American SF is really quite good for special effects,
and rather horrible for anything else.

Dr. Who isn't a good match for B5, as one was ostensibly a children's
show, and one wasn't.  B7 and B5 are better matched, and I always
preferred B7.  Then again, I like my heroes with more than one dimension.

Arin
(but perhaps this is because I find that the best Strazynski(sp?) show
was still _The Real Ghostbusters_)
Arin Komins                            akomins at midway.uchicago.edu
Web Systems Administrator
University of Chicago/NSIT                      tel: (773)834-4087
1155 E. 60th St. #302B Chicago, IL 60637        fax: (773)702-0559