BOC-L Digest - 25 Jan 2001 - Special issue (#2001-32)

John A. Swartz jswartz at MITRE.ORG
Thu Jan 25 15:49:11 EST 2001

> > Yep, too true.  If SYiB and HM can't get played, then
> nothing can.

> Both those tracks, plus LIve for Me, got a little bit
> of play, but not nearly as much as they should have.
> It just goes to show you how much bullshit gets slung
> around in the radio industry.  Trust me, I work in it.
>
> HF could have easily been one of the hottest hard rock
> albums of the year, if only it were promoted.  There
> are so many great rock albums put out by "old" bands
> that are left to die on the vine only because the
> musicians are of a certain age.

Promotion, I believe, is not the problem.  The problem is that BOC, as
other great rock artists, are seen as past their prime/past their time.
Unless they happen to be doing some sort of "reunion" thing a la' KISS
or The Who, or Black Sabbath (which may also make the assumption that
the band was at one time HUGE - and I'm not sure BOC ever was in that
category), then the prevailing logic is that bands that were once
successful and go away for some period of time (in the sales sense - we
all know that BOC as a band never really went away) have nothing left to
offer - that is they went away because they were washed up.  *Heaven
Forbid* was a great example - here was the almighty BOC, putting out
their first album of new material in a decade and nobody in the biz
cared.  The only people remotely interested were the "classic rock"
stations, and they only wanted to play "Don't Fear the Reaper".  CMC is
a small outfit, even if it is owned by BMG, and none of their albums
receive tremendous promotion - the fact that they released 3 singles
from *Heaven Forbid* is a testament to CMC's committment to BOC, IMHO.

John