BOC-L Digest - 25 Jan 2001 - Special issue (#2001-32)

Michael S. Habiby mhabiby1 at NYCAP.RR.COM
Fri Jan 26 08:19:52 EST 2001

Ted Jackson jr. wrote:

> Yet other 'old' bands like the [ugh] Stones and ZZ Top continue to
> thrive.  True the Stones are an institution, for want of a better term,
> and ZZ Top had the good sense to tap into MTV and exploit it for their
> benefit.  I really think BOC's problem lies in its management [can I
> get an amen!] and the fact that they never escaped the doldrums
> they entered when Al left, taking a lot of fertile songwriting sense with
> him.  The creative void that opened ca. Club Ninja has somehow
> paralyzed the group.  Or maybe their audience just changed tastes
> and moved on to something else?

To be blunt I think BOC's problem vis a vis the stones or zz top is that
BOC really did crash and burn musically with the final few albums before
Imaginos, which got zero airplay.  This really affected their
marketability.  Club Ninja was a disaster.  I think they LOST their
audience personally.  That and the band started breaking apart.....

Mike H.

--
"Do not stand in a place of danger trusting in miracles." - Ancient Arab Proverb