[OT] Roger Waters "In The Flesh" (was: HW: family tree tracklist)

Denis Regenbrecht denis.regenbrecht at UNIBW-MUENCHEN.DE
Tue Jan 30 19:15:46 EST 2001

Hi,

> >np: Roger Waters, "In The Flesh"
>Is this worth getting? I saw one of the shows in the States last year. To be
>honest I only went 'cos I was in San Antonio for a few days and purely by
>chance discovered RW was playing there, and as a lapsed fan of the old
>Floyd stuff I thought there were probably worse ways to spend an evening in
>a foreign city. (Also, I'd always been curious to see a big American stadium
>show, although the arena wasn't *that* big as it turned out).

I wish good ol' Roger would tour in Europe a little bit (it's the only way
to see some Floyd live as the Gilmour-troupe is doing anything but making
music).

>Anyway I hought the show was excellent, exceeded my expectations, but
>whether it
>would work without the visuals (i.e. as a live album) I don't know. What say
>you?

I haven't seen the live-shows so I can't comment on how good the CD
reflects the concerts, but it's rather good on its own IMO. The selection
of songs is very well-balanced: a lot from the "classic" Floyd-albums
(DsoTM, WYWH, Animals, Wall, tFC  and even "Set the Control for the Heart
of the Sun") as well as songs from Roger's solo-albums (especially from
"Amused to Death"). There's also a new song ("Each Small Candle") on it.
The sound quality is very good, but the mix isn't the best IMO: the vocals
are too much in the front, whereas the instruments (especially synths/keys
and bass) are too much in the back.
The performance of the band is very good, as you've already said. Roger
mustered an interesting little band around him. Some of the classic PF
songs (such as "Shine On..." or "Wish You Were Here") work very well
without Gilmour much to my surprise. I rate this album higher than anything
put out by the the "real" Pink Floyd in the last decade, but I only
listened to it thrice yet (I bought it yesterday) so this opinion my of
course change.
There's also a DVD BTW.

(c)IAO

                         D+R

--
"Nothing is true - everything is permissible"
                                         Hassan I Sabbah

www.d-rider.de          denis at d-rider.de