[OT] Roger Waters "In The Flesh" (was: HW: family tree tracklist)

Denis Regenbrecht denis.regenbrecht at UNIBW-MUENCHEN.DE
Wed Jan 31 17:16:23 EST 2001

Hi,

>As a long-time fan of Pink Floyd, I think its fair to say that Roger has
>certainly been more creative than his ex-colleagues since 1984.

I totally agree. Roger has always been the real mastermind and driving
force (since Syd was sacked of course) behind PF IMO and you can feel that
he still has "the right stuff". And as Nick mentioned in his mail the band
should have disbanded after the "Final Cut". The current incarnation is
only an uninspired money-making machine led by Gilmour.

>A Momentary Lapse of Reason is a good listen though, and I loved it at the
>time. Sure, half of it is written by non-Floyds, and if it is a forgery, its
>a bloody good one. But the Division Bell was, for the most part, truly
>awful. Bad unimaginitive playing, poor production, lousy songs and lyrics
>that are almost embarassingly bad, when you think what the 70's Floyd were
>capable of.

ACK. I think DB is a bit better than AMLOR ("High Hopes" isn't a bad song)
but compared with their other output it's just bad. And the name Pink Floyd
on those last albums is misleading IMO, it's more of Gilmour-solo with a
bit of Nick "regressed to dum-da" Mason and Rick "catatonic" Wright with
lots of hired unconcerned backing musicians. There's just no magic in it.

>I did see them live at Earl's Court in 1994, and I thought it was a
>wonderful show.  But when you listen to the live tapes, its blindingly
>obvious that Gilmour's heart just isn't in it anymore.

Yup. The massive amount of gadgets, pyrotechnics and a huge lightshow is
just their way of compensating their musical shortcomings. It is
overwhelming if you witness it live, but in hindsight you will notice it
("Pulse" is a very good example).

(c)IAO

                         D+R

--
"Nothing is true - everything is permissible"
                                         Hassan I Sabbah

www.d-rider.de          denis at d-rider.de