HW: RE: calvert question

Doug Pearson jasret at MINDSPRING.COM
Sat Jun 2 15:41:17 EDT 2001

On Wed, 30 May 2001 15:36:40 -0400, Stephan Forstner
<stemfors at PIPELINE.COM> wrote:
>I think the Flicknife single versions of LotH and TGatR are the bonus
>tracks
>on the Cleopatra CD reissue of Freq (and the credits on that list Lemmy as
>playing bass on one of the 2 tracks). The Hawkwind Connection versions of
>these 2 songs are the same as the versions on the See For Miles CD reissue
>of Hype (will double-check that tonight).

... Just checked my copy of 'Hawkwind Connection'.  The versions
of "Greenfly" and "Hornets" are definitely NOT the Flicknife single
versions that were on the Cleopatra 'Freq Revisited' CD (as has already
been surmised).  They are also not -exactly- the same as the 'Hype' album
versions, but sound like rough/preliminary/partial mixes of those
versions.  The "rhythm" tracks sound exactly the same, but there are sounds
on the 'Hype' album versions that aren't on the 'Hawkwind Connection'
versions, which leads me to believe that these (HC versions) are early,
rough mixes of the tracks (if they actually were originally "demos", they
were still used as the basis for the final tracks - not an uncommon
practice - some Who songs, for instance, started as Townshend demos that
were simply overdubbed by the rest of the band to finish them).  The 'Hype'
album versions are definitely better than the HC versions IMO, being that
they're the "completed" versions.

    -Doug
     jasret at mindspring.com