HW: RE: calvert question

Stephan Forstner stemfors at PIPELINE.COM
Tue Jun 5 13:57:56 EDT 2001

Hello Doug,

> Just checked my copy of 'Hawkwind Connection'.  The versions
>of "Greenfly" and "Hornets" are ...
>  ...  also not -exactly- the same as the 'Hype' album
>versions, but sound like rough/preliminary/partial mixes of those
>versions.  The "rhythm" tracks sound exactly the same, but there are sounds
>on the 'Hype' album versions that aren't on the 'Hawkwind Connection'
>versions, which leads me to believe that these (HC versions) are early,
>rough mixes of the tracks (if they actually were originally "demos", they
>were still used as the basis for the final tracks ...
> The 'Hype' album versions are definitely better than the HC versions
> IMO, being that they're the "completed" versions.

Are you sure about this? The Hype versions definitely sound way better, but
I think thats just the difference between a professional mastering job from
master tapes vs. copying tracks onto a CD from old scratchy vinyl. I've
spent an hour listening to these tracks back-to-back and side-by-side, and
it's not just the rhythm that's the same, the vocal tracks are the same too,
and I can't pinpoint any synth swoosh or burble that doesn't appear on both
the Connection and the Hype versions - could you point me at some of the
differences you hear? Help! What am I missing!?
I did notice that the HC version seems to be a bit faster than the Hype
version, but I think that's just an artifact of the original vinyl->CD
transfer, or maybe of my own playback.
Incidently, the Spirit of the P/Age offers this lyric for Greenfly - 'As
their tiny jaws / munch on plan and cause' - I think a case could be made
for 'munch on planet cores' as well.

Stephan

P.S. Any word on when we can expect the next Lexicon Devil F/i reissues?

P.P.S. So far this week my (snail)mailbox has disgorged Circle - Taantumus,
Pharaoh Overlord - #1, and Fluorescent Tunnelvision (includes Circle,
Ektroverde, and Tree Sine)... whew, I'm Finnished...