BOC: MIRROR

Brian Halligan blackblade at BHALLIGAN.COM
Thu Jun 7 08:37:39 EDT 2001

Nick wrote:
> I LOVE this disc.
> It's so much better than Heaven Forbid in so many ways,
> and I think that's probably why it blew me away so much.

With my 20/20 hindsight glasses on...Heaven Forbid seems like everyone was
trying to find their own ground, and figure out how to make the most of the
band's strengths. On Curse, they nailed it (musically at least).

It reminds me of Deep Purple's last two albums. Purpendicular was all over
the place and had a raw edge to it. Abandon was more of a band album, and
much smoother in its themes and the music itself. The only difference is
that I like Purpendicular better for Deep Purple, while Curse is a truckload
better than Heaven Forbid.

> If
> only the album could find its way past today's radio
> programmers and consultants and onto the airwaves, I
> see several songs that oughta be hits.

Yeah, the hits are definitely there, but I don't think there's a station
format that these tunes fit into very well. It seems like classic rock
stations play 5 bands and 10 songs total, modern rock stations wouldn't
touch BOC with a 10 ft. chronos symbol, the '80s stations don't play new
stuff by the old bands (not the station here, anyway). I think if the album
were released back during the Club Ninja days it would have been a huge
seller. That's when songs like Here Comes That Feeling would've fit
perfectly on the radio.

> Just this morning, I caught myself singing the chorus
> to Pocket while changing an especially stinky diaper.

I bet you wish you were somewhere else in that "particular second." ;-)

Pocket is stuck in my head too. What a great tune!

Brian

--
Vincent Price Talking Lawnmower
MP3 Radio