OFF: good places to live?

M Holmes fofp at HOLYROOD.ED.AC.UK
Fri Mar 2 11:02:36 EST 2001

Arin Komins writes:

> Hey folks,
>
> My apt. lease didn't get renewed, so I've got to find a new place to live.
> (phooey.)
>
> As I've never been overwhelmingly fond of Chicago in the first place
> (brrrrrrr), it may be time to move out.
>
> To that end, anyone want to pimp their particular part-of-the-world?
> Warm would be nice, though not (sigh) necessary.  A good IT job
> market is important, and decent folks to hang out with would be
> a definite plus.
>
> (bonuses if you have reasonable cd shops/sf bookstores/game shops/comic
> shops in the area.)

Edinburgh has all of the above and a fairly compact centre too (it's
possible to walk pretty much everywhere you might want to go inside of
an hour). The IT market is mainly financial programming and some web
stuff but there are other things happening. It's probably as windy as
Chicago but certainly not quite as cold in winter.

A fairly active (drinking anyway) SF contingent too.

FoFP