HW: Codex - phew

Sun Mar 11 09:10:46 EST 2001

On Thu, 22 Feb 2001, J D wrote:

> 3. Is the Theta Orionis bootleg of a gig or a mish-mash of rare tracks?

        It's a bit of both; it has some bits of a '93 (I think) Nottingham
Rock City gig (`QS&C', `LSD/Camera/LSD' as I recall), and some '95 BBC
stuff, I think also some other live stuff though I don't know what, and
then `Terra Mystica', the vinyl-only track from _Business Trip_, and
*claims* to contain `Space Sex', the similar one from _Alien4_ and `Gimme
Shelter' from IItBotFTBD, but *actually* has the 2.54 length allocated to
`Space Sex' filled with that much of `Gimme Shelter' repeated.

> 4. Strange Daze 97 - is this a compilation of bands, if so, what's the HW tracks?

        Yes, it's a compilation, the HW tracks are `Kauai', `Assassins of
Allah' and `Brainstorm/Hawkwind in your Area/Brainstorm'. There's also Nik
playing with Farflung which gets you an `Opa Loka' as well as two
Farflung/Anubian Lights tracks (well, one Farflung and thirty seconds of
synth claiming to be `Soul Herder').

> 5. Is Burn Me Up from Elf & Hawk the same as the Brockspace song?

        Not quite. The _Spacebrock_ version has an extra atmosphere layer
of synth and a sample of a female voice singing "Find the right
way!" overlaid after about twenty-four bars. This synth-wash and sample is
then tracked separately as `The Right Way', which is one of the lamer
pieces of space-filling on the album.

        Everything else I think I saw covered by those better-qualified to
answer than me...

> As for the Codex itself, an absolutely magnificent document
> incorporating humungus amounts of time & effort. Had Mike & Jill not
> done this, then HW fans would be even more in the dark and totally
> confused about releases than we already are! Keep up the good work.

        Amen to that... Yours,
                               Jon

ObCD: Hawkwind - _Love in Space_
--
              Spooky peanut terror bringing pain and death!
     Jon Jarrett (01223 514989)      jjarrett at chiark.greenend.org.uk