BOC: Curse Of The Hidden Mirror review

Ted Jackson tojackso at LIBRARY.SYR.EDU
Tue May 1 10:04:09 EDT 2001

On 1 May 2001, at 13:53, Bolts of Ungodly Vision wrote:

> My 1.7 cents (after taxes):
> You could have taken the paragraph about Bobby R's Drumming driving
> Buck, snipped out Rondinelli's name and put in A.Bouchard... I think
> Bobby's drumming *is* getting better at finding a groove rhytm that
> isnt a metronome, but c'mon... he don't have the funk (esp. if
> compared to the SFG that just came out

Agreed, BR can't do Al's off-the-wall drumming, but then I haven't
heard anyone who can pull that off like Al...But in all fairness, BR is
a great drummer, esp. live.  My only critique is that he's sometimes
a little slick, but always a total professional...

> At least with an all Buck Dharma production on this CD, it should
> sounds better as an album than HF -- dont forget that on the latter a
> few of the tunes were salvaged from sessions done by whatshisface, the
> manager guy (As cool as Harvest Moon is as a song, it should have been
> more ominous. A boot version translates the song MUCH better than what
> came out on HF).

right again...I've heard HM live several times done better than HF.
Then again you could argue the same for Flaming Telepaths, even
though the studio version's a classic.  Just that the band is able to
somehow transcend itself on that tune.  And how about Teen
Archer, a simple song that is way, way better live than studio...

> I wonder what Albert thinks of the sound of the SFG CD.

I bet he like the way the drums sound!

theo