FW: hawks/fantasy

Nick Medford nick at HERMIT0.DEMON.CO.UK
Thu May 3 09:12:32 EDT 2001

On Wed, 2 May 2001 19:04:10 +0100, M Holmes <fofp at HOLYROOD.ED.AC.UK> wrote:

>Way back in 1989 the gangsters had sales reps at every crossroads on the
>site. Each was accompanied by a friend with a baseball bat and most of
>them were wearing black ski masks or balaclavas. That, and some trouble
>from Travellers that year convinced Eavis to allow the Police to patrol
>onsite.

I think that was the last time I went- '89 sounds about right anyway. I
certainly remember the multitude of Seriously Bad Dudes (yardies?) and
stumbling across a chappie in a gleaming silver Merc surrounded by henchmen
who looked like he could be Mr Big. I didn't inquire though.

Also, does
>anyone reckon that the Canterbury or Norwich festivals will actually
>happen?

Well I "spoke" to Rik on the irc channel recently and he reckons Canterbury
is "100% on." As for Norwich, I do know that a lot (maybe all?) of the
footpath restrictions etc are now lifted, so grounds for optimism there too.

NM