OFF: Drummers

Denis Regenbrecht denis.regenbrecht at UNIBW-MUENCHEN.DE
Wed May 9 15:31:49 EDT 2001

Hi,

>Pierre is great of course, but so is Pip Pyle- difficult to choose between
>those
>two as the No.1 Gong engine-room.

Perhaps we should simply say "Gong drummers", all of them are very good,
it's easier and saves a lot of space. ;-)
Their new one, Chris Taylor, is fabulous, too.

>I have to agree with those who cite Ginger Baker- whatever his failings as a
>human being, the drumming on "Levitation" and- especially- "Do Not
>Panic" is amazing. If you haven't listened to the latter for a while, dig
>it out
>and prepare to be seriously impressed.

Yup. I especially like his very rhythmic use of cymbals and hi-hat. That
adds a lot to the overall sound.

> >No.1 in my flop-5 would definitively be Nick Mason.
>
>Bit harsh?

Just a little...
But I don't count all those wannabe punk and metal drummers, who are only
able to play a 4/4-beat with as few variations as possible. ;-)

>Was quite inventive in the early days of the Floyd. Not even
>remotely inventive now, true, but that presumably has to do with the
>superstar syndrome (cf Phil Collins).

I beg to differ. He wasn't really inventive, even in the earlier days IMHO.
He was more playful and he showed more skill than, for example, on "The
Division Bell". But compared to other drummers of the same genre he's still
lame. I think you can count his basic patterns and fills with one hand.

(c)IAO

                 D'wondering how HW with Christian Vander guesting would
sound'...+R