OFF: MP3/CD Portable

M Holmes fofp at HOLYROOD.ED.AC.UK
Fri May 11 07:05:07 EDT 2001

Rich Warren writes:

> I bought the Goodmans CDMP 350.  First impressions are pretty good,
> specially considering the price, 79pounds.  I looked at the Phillips, but it
> was 50 squid more.  I've seen a few other brands.  I got mine from Dixons.
> EB are selling another brand, and I've seen more at computer fairs, some of
> which will play VideoCDs as well.  The Computer fair machines all look like
> dodgy Hong kong imports ;-), and seem to go for 99pounds.
>
> I guess if Goodmans an Phillips are selling stuff it's gone mainstream.
> Dixons also had a rather fetching car MP3 jukebox, I'd buy one if I had a
> car!!

The only problem with buying Goodmans kit is that I've heard that
there's essentially no technical support or spares available and so if
there's a later problem that can't be dealt with by a replacement under
guarantee then it's hard to impossible to get anyone to repair the kit.
On the other hand, it seems that this is factored into the prices which
are definitely quite low.