OFF: GANJA:Medical Marijuana, Supreme Court ruling -_-

M Holmes fofp at HOLYROOD.ED.AC.UK
Wed May 16 05:12:36 EDT 2001

John Majka writes:

> You know, for all practical purposes, Marijuana is already legal as a
> medicinal.... pure THC is available in pill form under the name Marinol.

Good as far as it goes. The research evidence, such as it so far is, is
that Marinol is not as effective as straight marijuana. This suggests
that other chemicals in the plant, apart from THC are useful medically.

I would agree with the medics that it's probably not good in the long
term for victims to smoke a medicine (though the patients are in the best
position to balance their risks and benefits)and that the feeling of
being high (or of paranoia) is a hindrance rather than a benefit to
some. It would therefore be useful to develop a sythetic substitute as
an inhaler. In the meantime though, it's stupid to deny patients the
benefit of the actual plant. Nobody ever died of marijuana so it seems
stupid to stop patients using it simply because other people have a good
time doing the same thing.

The future is likely to view the prohibitions of our time as a cross
between economic flat-earthism and pogroms like the Crusades.

FoFP