HW: Hawk Logs Master Series: Part 1 (of 3)

Stephan Forstner stemfors at PIPELINE.COM
Mon May 21 16:27:02 EDT 2001

Hawk Logs Master Series: Part 1 (of 3)

1. I Do Like To Be Beside the Seaside (70 minutes)
     (live at the Folkestone Leas Cliffe Hotel on 12th July 1980)

Shot Down in the Night / Urban Guerilla / The War / World of Tiers / Dust of
Time / Docking Port III / Nati / Lighthouse / Brainstorm / M.O.T.V / Silver
Machine / Levitation

This is similar to the Complete '79 set, I would rate the sound as slightly
less good, but a very good set. Nati is a Tim Blake piece I haven't seen
elsewhere, tho I think he had a similarly titled track on one of his recent
releases. DP3 is Space Chase with nice solos from TB and HLL.

2. Archives (66 minutes)
     (Archive BBC) - no date given but I assume it's from 85(?)
Assault & Battery / Night of the Hawks / They Got Your Number / Magnu / Blue
Angel/Dreamworker / Dust of Time
     Cystal Palace Bowl 1985
Intro / Coded Languages / Angels of Death / Needle Gun / Brainstorm
     The Visitation Live (A Hawkwind Tribute)
Vanishing Point / Final Day / Masters of the Universe

The 1st set (ABBC) has very good sound. TGY# is an HLL tune. CPB85 has
somewhat less good sound. I don't know anything about The Visitation Live -
the 1st 2 tracks are instrumentals, and overall I think its pretty good -
I'd be interested in more of this stuff, whoever/whatever it is. Does anyone
know?

3. Out of the Shadows (60 minutes)
     Live at Nottingham Rock City 1990
Assault & Battery / The Golden Void / Out of the Shadows / Snake Dance /
Utopia / Ejection / Damnation Alley / Wind of Change
     Xenon Codex Tour Hammersmith 1988 (Part 1)
Arrival in Utopia / The War I survived / Heads

I think the '90 set is the one that is supposed to be released any day now
by Voiceprint. Very good sound, very good set, definitely worthy of release
(Simon House=amazing). This is missing 2 songs that I've seen on other boots
of this show (Night of the Hawks and Back In the Box). The Hammersmith '88
set is spread over the next 4 CDs. I think the same show has appeared on the
boots Live at Hammersmith '88 and No Sleep Til Hammersmith (wonder where
they got that title) but I don't have those so I'm not sure. Sound is again
very good.

4. Spirit of the Ages (57 minutes)
     Live at the Bottom Line New York 1978
Hassan & Sahba / Brainstorm / Steppenwolf / Highrise / Robot / Spirit of the
Age / Sonic Attack
     Xenon Codex Tour Hammersmith 1988 (Part 2)
Shot Down in the Night / Mutation Zone / Tides (unlisted)

The '78 set has somewhat less good sound, it fades in and out a bit in
places, and similar versions of all the songs are available on the Weird
CDs, but this is still a great show and one of my favorites (maybe because
it was the 1st HW boot I ever got, way back in 1985 or so). Again, Simon
House=amazing. Steppenwolf is split into 2 parts and Sonic Attack fades out
early.

5. Wastelands of Sleep (54 minutes)
     Live at Stonehenge 1983
Utopia / The Psychedelic Warlords / Motorway City / Ejection / Shot Down in
the Night / Master of the Universe / Spirit of the Age
     Xenon Codex Tour Hammersmith 1988 (Part 3)
Wastelands of Sleep / Moonglum

The Stonehenge set has sound that's less good than the Collector's Series
Choose Your Masques, lots of audience noise (but usually limited to between
songs), the set is a bit looser than CYM, and there are nice long sax-heavy
jams on TPWs and SotA. Nice version of Moonglum.

Stephan

     Stephan Forstner
     stemfors at pipeline.com
     stephan at mullermedia.com