HW: More Nik

Tue May 22 08:43:52 EDT 2001

On Sat, 28 Apr 2001, Nick Medford wrote:

> Uncle Nik's copped some flak here lately: like most everyone else I wish he
> wouldn't use the Hawkwind name, and while I haven't heard his recent
> albums it seems he's repeatedly recycling the same (mostly HW) material.
>
> However the fact remains that he had a massive role in Hawkwind: he was
> there from the start, he had a lot to do with the identity of the band from
> its earliest days. He was largely responsible for getting Bob Calvert involved,
> and he wrote or co-wrote some classic material. (Brainstorm, Master of the
> Universe, Shouldn't Do That, D-Rider).

        Yes, in case my previous post seems too negative, it must not be
forgotten that Nik is responsible for some of the most basic punishing
blanga there has ever been written. Which is why I find it so annoying
that he doesn't seem to have anything more to add to that; last thing he
seems to have written with any primary involvement (can't speak for the
All Stars stuff here but in any case that's not what I'm talking about
here) was `Walking in the Sky' on _Prophets of Time_, assuming the
Cleopatra writing credits are correct which they aren't most elsewher on
that release. And that's one song since 1985 barring `Medulla Mirage' on
_The Eternal Sky_ which, you'll forgive me for saying, is
pants. Agh. Yours,
                   Jon

       Jon Jarrett (01223 514989)     jjarrett at chiark.greenend.org.uk