HW: Nik thoughts

Tue May 22 17:57:26 EDT 2001

On Sun, 29 Apr 2001, ANDREW GARIBALDI wrote:

> isn't it all a bit like the Roger Waters vs Dave Gilmour split down the
> middle where both reckoned they had the right to use Pink Floyd - there, the
> mystery was why it went to Gilmour as he was NOT an original member of the
> band - so maybe it's not as clear cut as it seems.

        Now, as it's appeared in interviews I've read that isn't quite
fair: Roger held that Pink Floyd was dead and that therefore he had the
right to stop any of the others using the name. He's never shown any signs
of wanting to use it himself unless you count this _Is There Anybody Out
There?_ album, which is at least old Floyd. As I recall from the same it
wasn't Gilmour's claim that was decisive, but the fact that he had not
only Mason, but eventually Wright, in his band too. The judges ruled that
the two latter outweighed Roger's claim to be a required part of Floyd and
therefore to be able to stop it happening.

        Of course, when you start comparing the nineties output of Floyd
to that of Hawkwind and spin-offs, it becomes clear that we haven't got
*that* much to moan about :-) Yours,
                                     Jon

ObTapeofCD: Alan Davey - _Bedouin_
       Jon Jarrett (01223 514989)     jjarrett at chiark.greenend.org.uk